March 13, 2020
As we prepare for another week of Spring Break, this message is meant to remind you of a few very important things to keep in mind over the next several days. It is equally important that you understand that things are changing rapidly, and new developments may change things further still. If additional changes to University operations are necessary, you’ll be notified as soon as possible by email and via the COVID-19 web page. Please continue monitoring both diligently.
- There are no known cases of COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel Coronavirus, at Anderson University.
- Campus is open. It is a student’s choice whether to return. However, we have established guidelines and are asking any student to stay away from campus if they meet the following criteria:
- Have traveled internationally over the past 14 days;
- Have traveled on a cruise ship over the past 14 days;
- Have been exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19;
- Have visited any area with widespread outbreak of COVID-19;
- Have symptoms of COVID-19, including a fever greater than 100 degrees; cough; and/or difficulty breathing.
- All academic buildings, including Thrift Library, will be closed to students while we devote our attention to equipping faculty to convert their courses for online delivery.
- Our current plan is to re-open academic buildings on a modified schedule, including Thrift Library, on March 23. Stay tuned for more details.
- While the Student Center will remain open, operations are reduced. Most staff offices remain open, with social distancing and best practices exercised. Recreation areas such as the gym, study spaces, and other common spaces are closed. Dining services will continue to offer meals, though options will be limited.
- There will be no campus activities on campus until further notice. Campus Worship, CEP events and formal and informal large group meetings will not take place. This includes athletic events; the South Atlantic Conference (SAC), of which Anderson is a member institution, has cancelled all remaining athletic events for the remainder of the year.
- Early arrival exceptions will be made for students who have no choice but to return to campus this Sunday, March 15, for activities such as clinicals, research, internships, employment on or off campus, and other academic purposes. For these students, dining services will continue with modified and limited options. If you do not have to be on campus next week for these reasons, please observe the best practice of staying off campus.
It’s been a busy and challenging week on the Anderson University campus for many people, including the COVID-19 task force. Meetings have taken place daily throughout the week, the substance of which you’ve heard from our communication to you. Every decision made was done with your personal health and safety as the #1 consideration.
This is intended as the last communication for the week unless circumstances change. If not, you’ll hear from us again on Monday, March 16. Thank you once again for your patience and understanding as we take the necessary steps to address this unprecedented public health emergency.