Anderson University‘s Athletic department invites applications for a full-time position as Head Coach, Baseball. Anderson University is an innovative, entrepreneurial, premier comprehensive, liberal arts university affiliated with the South Carolina Baptist Convention. The university seeks candidates with a strong Christian value system, lifestyle, and commitment to the integration of faith and learning.
The Head Baseball Coach is responsible for the development and maintenance of an effective and competitive NCAA Division II Baseball program. The recruitment and retention of quality student-athletes in this sport will be integral to this position. The head coach is responsible for all aspects that relate to the Baseball program to include the ongoing development of the student-athlete both in and outside the classroom and in support of the Christian faith of the university community. In addition, the head coach will demonstrate the ability to promote the physical, intellectual, spiritual, and social growth of the student-athletes.
This position also includes secondary duties within Athletics dependent upon departmental needs and/or candidate skills and experience.
- Provide leadership, oversight, responsibility and implementation of a Baseball program that fits within the Christian culture and expectations of Anderson University.
- Understand and comply with all rules and guidelines set forth by the NCAA Division II and South Atlantic Conference's policies and procedures.
- Provide a technical and tactical framework for student-athletes to perform to their highest potential.
- Teach and train all team members in required sport skills and strategies during practice sessions in preparation for intercollegiate competition.
- Utilize proper judgment in the instruction and expectations while operating within best practice safety standards.
- Teach and set expectations of appropriate team conduct during competition, travel, practice, university events, and all other times when the team is representing the University.
- Develop teams which are competitive within the conference, region and nationally by maximizing the student-athletes' talents while also teaching and promoting teamwork.
- Provide guidance to student-athletes through teaching life skills and social responsibility in order to improve their physical, intellectual and social maturity.
- Create an environment, through instruction and modeling, in which student-athletes observe and learn integrity, camaraderie, and respect to create a positive environment for all student-athletes.
- Serve as a resource to student-athletes navigating the balance of academic and athletic demands.
- Foster university and community interest in the program.
- Articulate and contribute to the goals of Anderson University and Department, in line with the mission and vision of the University.
- Act as a professional and positive representative of Anderson University.
- Provide support directly to student-athletes and create a network of support within the team and through the usage of other campus support entities.
- Plan, organize and manage all in-season and out-or-season practices and competitions.
- Oversee conduct and discipline of the team.
- Retain student-athletes on the team, and at Anderson University.
- Inventory, manage and update equipment, and assist with the management of all game and practice facilities utilized by the team and department.
- Select, supervise, teach, and evaluate all assistant coaching staff including full-time, part-time, graduate assistants, student assistants, and volunteer coaches.
- Organize and administer team fundraising and alumni activities, camp/clinic programs, as well as participating in departmental and university fundraising activities.
- Perform public relations, community service projects, and promotional activities for the promotion of the sport, department, and the University, as well as for the development of the team.
- Organize and conduct baseball camps or clinics in the local community when and where possible.
Essential Knowledge and Skills
- Experience working with collegiate athletic programs and higher educational institutions.
- Strong communication, social, organizational, and leadership skills.
- Understand the budgeting and budget management process.
- Understand and appreciate the Christian nature of the institution.
- Ability to work collaboratively and quickly adopt new technologies and social media platforms.
- Demonstrate a solid knowledge and commitment to the philosophy and mission of NCAA Division II athletics.
- Possess any/all current certifications required for this position.
- Required: Bachelor’s Degree / Preferred: Master’s Degree
- Preferred: Intercollegiate level coaching and recruiting experience.
- Expertise in the sport having a minimum of 5 years of progressive coaching experience.
To ensure full consideration, please submit a letter of application, resume, contact information for three professional references and a completed Anderson University Staff application electronically via: