Anderson University and the Office of Student Development invite applications for a full-time position as Assistant Director of Residential Operations. Anderson University is an innovative, entrepreneurial, premier comprehensive, liberal arts university affiliated with the South Carolina Baptist Convention. The university seeks candidates with a strong Christian value system, lifestyle, and commitment to the integration of faith and learning.
The Assistant Director of Residential Operations (ADRO) is a full time, non-exempt, 12 month, professional member of the Residence Life team who resides in University owned housing. The Assistant Director provides administrative leadership within Residence Life through management of all student housing processes. This position works with the Director of Residence Life and Dean of Students as well as other professional staff in the Residence Life Department to implement and maintain effective residence life and housing programs that support and serve Anderson University students.
The Assistant Director of Residential Operations will oversee student housing placements, coordinate room changes and supervise check-in and check-out process in cooperation with the Residence Life staff. This position will be responsible for updating and managing the online housing system and coordinating the housing and meal plan billing process. The ADRO will regularly interface with the Business Office, Office of Admission, Office of Accessibility Services, and Financial Aid, regarding student housing and meal plans. In addition, the ADRO will:
- Direct the opening and closing of all residence halls including volunteer recruitment and placement.
- Manage all residential facilities to ensure they are clean, safe, well maintained and conducive to study. This includes overseeing the regular health and safety inspections that occur each semester and managing any fines or corrections associated with the process.
- Manage the housing assignment process for both new and continuing students. This includes oversight of the registration process for all commuter students to ensure compliance with residential requirements.
- Coordinate with the Director of Accessibility service to manage requests for housing and meal plan accommodations.
- Collaborate with residence life staff to coordinate student moves, damage assessment and process billing.
- Develop and revise policy and procedures and identify software needs to support departmental programs.
- Create and maintain a collaborative relationship with the Physical Plant and Guest Services staff regarding departmental needs and the usage of residential spaces.
- Provide accurate reporting of student housing data and coordinate with the Dean and Director to generate yearly housing projections.
Residential Student Support
The ADRO will live on campus in a University owned apartment and serve as a resource and support for residential students. He or she is expected to get to know the students in their living area by participating in living area events. In addition, the ADRO will:
- Serve in the Residence Life on call rotation and respond to campus emergencies and document violations of University policies.
- Be responsible for managing the intake of student care reports and may be called upon to assist with adjudication of student conduct cases as needed.
Additional Administrative Responsibilities
- Manage the hiring and training of student workers at the front desk of the Student Life Suite to provide exceptional customer service for students, parents, and guests.
- Assist the Director of Student Involvement with housing assignment for all Base Camp Orientation sessions as well as answering parent and student questions related to Base Camp Orientation.
- Assist with the hiring and training of all Resident Advisors as directed by the Director of Residence Life
- Meet weekly with the Director of Residence Life and the professional Residence Life staff to discuss policies, procedures, programs, resident concerns, discipline situations, and personal development issues.
- Represent Residence Life on committees within the Student Development department and externally as needed. Participate in and support University wide events, programs, and activities as appropriate and necessary.
- Partner with the Director of Guest Services to support housing operations related to summer camps and conferences.
Essential Knowledge and Skills
A Bachelor’s degree and two to four years of experience working in Residence Life. Knowledge equivalent to that gained through completion of a master’s degree in Student Development, Higher Education, or closely related field is preferred. Experience working with an online housing management system and student information systems. Proficient in Excel and basic understanding of billing processes. A strong commitment to quality relationships, warmth, excellence, and Christ-like service is essential as well as the ability to work in a professional and confidential manner with all staff, students, parents, and the general public. Must have a mature and contagious evangelical Christian faith. Commitment to the academic and Christ-focused mission of Anderson University is essential. Must be able to work with a diverse student population and demonstrate a commitment to the holistic development of students.
Screening of applicants will begin immediately and applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please submit a letter of application, resume, contact information for three professional references and a completed Anderson University Staff Application electronically to Jon Gropp at: