Janitorial General Cleaner Job Description
Reports to: Site Supervisor
FLSA Status: Hourly, Non-Exempt
Position Summary: Keeps premises of office building, or other commercial or institutional building in clean, safe and orderly condition by performing the following duties
Position Responsibilities: Include any or all of the following. Other duties may be assigned by supervisor. Job description subject to change.
- The GENERAL CLEANER cleans offices, hallways, lobbies, lounges, rest rooms, corridors, elevators, stairways, locker rooms, and other areas. Replenishes paper and soap products in bathrooms, cleans mirrors, walls, showers, sinks, metal work and toilets. Empties wastebaskets, and empties and cleans ashtrays. Transports trash and waste to disposal area.
- Sweeps, mops, vacuums and/or refinishes floors. Cleans rugs, carpets, upholstered furniture, and draperies. Washes walls, ceilings, vents and woodwork. Washes windows, blinds, door panels, ledges and sills. Cleans water fountains. Dusts furniture, light fixtures, and equipment. Replaces light bulbs.
- Assists in project cleaning, which includes lifting and removing furniture from rooms. Provides assistance with any outside cleaning, which may include sweeping sidewalks and picking up trash.
- Operates various types of equipment and machinery, which include wet vacuums, hand trucks, vacuum cleaners, carpet extractors, floor buffers, automatic scrubbers, etc.
- Assists in the completion of the workload in the absence of other service workers.
- Reports any malfunctions / maintenance problems to the supervisor. Discusses work problems and/or schedule problems with supervisor and / or management. May be required to lock and / or unlock doors. Attends training meetings and sessions as directed.
Position Qualifications/Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- No prior experience or training is required.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Must have either a high school diploma or GED.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here represent those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, and reach with arms and hands. The employee is required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to talk or hear.
The employee must lift / move up to 35 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here represent those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The employee may be exposed to infectious waste, diseases, conditions, etc. including AIDS and Hepatitis B viruses. The noise level is usually moderate.