In AU’s Department of Biology and Chemistry you can major in biology or biochemistry. Biology majors unlock biological mechanisms through hands-on learning and a well-rounded liberal arts education. Your journey as a biochemistry major will take you down to the molecular level of life where you get a fascinating view of how the living world works. AU professors will be alongside you as you delve into these microscopic worlds.
Majoring in biology or biochemistry will give you the science foundation for the following careers:
- Environmental or health-related education and surveillance
- Medicine (physician assistant)
- Veterinary science
Chemistry Minor -The 22-credit-hour chemistry minor includes classes in general chemistry, organic chemistry, labs and biochemistry.
Opportunities for Engaged Learning
Your studies won’t be limited to the classroom. You'll put your mind – and hands – to work in a variety of environments that provide concentrated, experiential learning:
- Rocky River Nature Park: Your studies will take you all over the park, where you'll conduct research for courses like ecology, field biology and wetlands biology.
- Anderson University Cancer Research Center: Home of award-winning cancer research by students and an incredible opportunity for study under top doctors. The Center is an in-house epicenter for understanding cancer and researching ways to halt its spread through innovative cures.
- Center for Medical Simulations cadaver lab: This lab is one of the few of its kind among the state's undergraduate universities and is an invaluable resource for you as you study the human body. It’s your gateway for studying the way molecular processes affect the human anatomy.
- Biochem research project: You'll choose an area of research and dive in with the help of your professors. Past projects include merging cancer cells and B cells to create hybridoma cells that produce antibodies.
- Labs: Your biochemistry labs offer incredible opportunities to work alongside professors to grow and manipulate cancer cells, augment your understanding of experimental design and learn how to conduct sound research.
- Greenville Health Systems' MedEx Academy: An incredible summer medical program that exposes you to several medical fields. AU students who participated in this program have gone on to medical school.
- AnMed Health internship: You'll compete against biochem and biology students for the opportunity to shadow doctors at the region's premier teaching hospital.
Anderson Science Association(ASA) –This club meets twice a month and features speakers that include local physicians, research scientists, alumni and other professionals. These meetings are also valuable for connecting with upperclassmen who can mentor you and give you advice about the bio program.
Ecology Club – Led completely by students, this club's meetings focus on ecology, environmental research and careers. Members also participate in community projects: garden clubs, river clean-ups and volunteer opportunities at the Rocky River Nature Park.