As you begin to prepare for college, we've created a general timeline and guide to the college application process. This resource will help you know when to begin different steps as you start thinking about your future after high school.
Questions about beginning your college journey at Anderson? Our Admission Team would love to help you!
- Prepare for the PSAT/SAT/ACT.
- Get on college mailing lists.
- Spend the summer after your sophomore year visiting some colleges.
- In a journal or document, keep track of your impressions and observations of each college you visit.
- Determine the five qualities you most desire in a college.
- Take the PSAT, SAT, or ACT.
- Keep your grades up. Colleges place a heavy emphasis on junior year grades.
- Meet with admission counselors when they visit your high school.
- Visit colleges you are interested in. Request an application packet and ask to be on their mailing list.
- Attend open houses or preview events.
September through December
- Take the SAT or ACT again.
- Schedule your own visit or take advantage of the open houses at colleges where you plan to apply.
- Fill out applications and send them in. Be sure to follow each school's directions and be aware of their deadline.
- Complete and send FAFSA forms. These forms must be mailed BEFORE June 30 to qualify for state aid. However, we recommend an earlier date of March 15.
February through May
- If you have been accepted at more than one school, you should notify ALL of the colleges of your decision.
- Let your college know you've chosen them. You will need to send in the reply form with a monetary deposit, and your signed financial aid award letter.