Theatre and Dance Audition Requirements
An audition is required for all students enrolling as a musical theatre (BFA), acting (BFA), or dance (BA) major in the South Carolina School of the Arts. If you are interested in auditioning for theatre (BA) or theatrical design (BA), then your audition is only viewed for scholarship. Upon submitting an Anderson University application, students are able to register for any available audition dates. All audition questions can be directed to email@example.com.
Upload the following items to your admission portal prior to arrival:
- A letter of recommendation from a theatre director who is familiar with your work
- A theatrical resume listing theatre experience
- A current 8x10 headshot
Based on intended major, audition requirements are as follows:
BFA Musical Theatre
- Prepare two 16 measure selections (one ballad and one up-tempo) from musical theatre repertoire. Please bring sheet music with appropriate cuts marked clearly. Our standard procedure is to provide an accompanist; however, students should also bring an MP3 recording of accompaniment just in case it becomes necessary.
- Prepare a one-minute memorized monologue from a published play.
- Prepare two contrasting one-minute memorized monologues, (EX: Classic/Modern, Comic/Tragic). Be prepared to take direction.
- Prepare to be interviewed about your experience in theatre and your reasons for seeking a BFA in Acting.
- Prepare two contrasting one-minute memorized monologues, (EX: Classic/Modern, Comic/Tragic) or prepare a portfolio of past work. Be prepared to take direction.
- Be aware that we will want to interview you about your experience in theatre and your need for a scholarship.
BA in Theatre (Theatrical Design Concentration)
- Bring a design portfolio displaying any renderings or designs that show the development and breadth of your theatre skill.
BA in Dance
- Prepare a one-minute choreographed dance showcasing your best dance style. Bring downloaded audio track, cellphone preferred, and a sound system will be provided.
- Come prepared to take a dance technique class. Please bring ballet shoes and appropriate dance clothing for an upper-level ballet class.
- You will interview with the Director of Dance. Please have a resume and three letters of recommendation from dance teachers or choreographers.