Skip to main content
AU Trojan

All F-1 students are required by immigration regulations to purchase adequate US health insurance while studying at Anderson University. This is important because the medical system in the United States is not socialized. For those students who have medical insurance from your home country, you are still required to purchase and maintain a health insurance plan purchased from a company within the US. There are no exceptions to this policy since it is part of immigration compliance. However, Anderson University also has a comprehensive Health Service office called Thrive, which services the entire campus with minor ailments. So, for any minor illness or sickness they can normally help you. However, medical insurance is required to cover doctor’s visits and other medical treatment.  (Athletes who are international students on an F-1 visa are required to purchase health insurance with an additional rider.) 

Not all health insurance plans offer F-1 students adequate coverage, therefore the International Programs Office Center for Global Engagement recommends health insurance from International Student Protection. You can contact ISP for insurance plans at We understand that insurance can be complicated so the International Programs Office Center for Global Engagement, together with our Thrive Health Services, can assist you with understanding your options. We also can also assist you with any insurance claims. (Please note that medical insurance is required for F-1 student status and it cannot be waived.) The health insurance policy is not part of your bill and you must purchase the plan before your arrival to AU. For continuing students, you must purchase it each semester in order to maintain your F-1 status. 

Even if you have medical insurance from your home country, you must purchase health insurance at Anderson University while in the USA.  You can purchase it online at