If you are serious about vocal study and a high school student, take advantage of this masterclass with Anderson University’s Vocal Performance faculty:
Music professors Deirdre Welborne Francis, Dr. Tommy L. Watson Jr. and Dr. Richard Anthony Williamson will conduct an exclusive masterclass for high school vocalists at 3:30 p.m. on Friday, November 20, 2015 at The South Carolina School of the Arts. RSVP now for this free masterclass to develop your musical skills, meet our voice and choral faculty, and see how they work with students and ensembles. Some masterclass attendees will be invited to perform solos in the class’ supportive environment. In addition, singing in the masterclass serves as the solo requirement of The South Carolina School of the Arts scholarship audition. That evening, masterclass attendees will attend the AU Fall Choral Concert at 7:30 p.m. at First Baptist Church in Anderson, South Carolina. The concert will be led by Dr. Williamson, who is AU's Director of Choral Activities, and AU Choir conductor Jonathan Doyel.
Vocal Performance at The South Carolina School of the Arts
- AU vocal students have received honors at the state, regional and national levels of National Association of Teachers of Singing (NATS) auditions in both classical and musical theatre categories.
- AU voice faculty have professionally recognized credentials in both classical and contemporary commercial music pedagogy.
- AU voice faculty are active performers who have appeared in local, national, and international venues in both classical and contemporary commercial styles.
- AU vocal students have opportunities to perform in a variety of solo, operatic, theatrical and ensemble settings, including opportunities to sing with orchestra.
AU Vocal Masterclass Faculty
- Professor Francis is a crossover singer who performs in classical, musical theater, and jazz styles. She teaches AU’s Contemporary Vocal Lab and is a sought-after choral conductor and clinician. Francis is certified in Somatic Voicework through Jeanette Lovetri and the Institute for Contemporary Commercial Music Vocal Pedagogy. Read more.
- Professor Watson is active as a concert and recital singer and vocal clinician. He uses pioneering contemporary and traditional teaching techniques and methods, including Somatic Voicework. Dr. Watson is also the director of Anderson’s opera workshop. His student, Craig Smith, won second place in his category at the 2015 National Student Auditions hosted by NATS. Read more.
- Professor Williamson is a conductor and also active as a composer, clinician, and scholar. His choirs have appeared on four continents and performed in a variety of professional venues. Their most recent recognition is being selected as a semifinalist ensemble for The American Prize. Dr. Williamson won a Fulbright Fellowship to work with choral music at the Conservatorio Nacional de la Musica in Lima, Peru, and will make his Carnegie Hall debut conducting Rutter’s Requiem in May. Read more.
We invite you, your family, and your voice or choral teacher to come learn more about our programs, enjoy our welcoming campus and dinner, and hear an inspiring concert. Here’s what the afternoon holds for you:
AU Vocal Masterclass Schedule
3:30–4:00 p.m. Registration
4:00–5:30 p.m. Masterclass in Daniel Recital Hall
5:45–6:45 p.m. Dinner and presentation
7:30 p.m. Choral Concert at First Baptist Church